Wednesday, September 30, 2009

DIY - Wood Stove Hood

When I looked back at my idea book, nearly every kitchen in there had a wood stove hood with a built-in fan/ventilator. I loved the look but when I explored the price with my cabinet company, it was more than I wanted to spend. I considered giving up on the idea but ultimately decided that my husband, Jim, is hand enough so maybe he could build it. He agreed to give it a shot and our builder agreed to help install it and poke through the wall to the outside. I found a bunch of pictures of what I wanted and Jim built it out of 1/2" plywood. The angles gave him some serious headaches but he did a great job!

We color matched the cabinet paint at our local Benjamin Moore store and it blends nicely with the cabinets. We get a lot of complimnts on it and we saved about $1000 doing it this way!

For those who are wondering, that's a pot-filler over the stove. I love it!

4 comments:

Shawn said...

What did you use for the mechanical side of things? When we redid our kitchen I debated doing the same thing, building a decorative box around a cheaper hood - but eventually decided I didn't want to worry about cleaning it.

Melissa said...

We used a Fujioh hood which is made to be built-in. They have a variety of sizes but they are all high quality and very quiet. We paid under $300 for the mechanicals and then purchased one of the matching stainless surround so that the entire underside of the hood is stainless (and therefore easy to clean). The surround comes in 2 or 3 different shapes. The mechanical aspect was much easier than building the hood because of the angles. The mechanicals popped right in with a few screws. So far, it's working great. I cooked all day on Friday and Saturday and no more stinky smells in my house!

Laurie said...

Hi there:
I saw where you recommended Jim Cole on the list serve, but I can't find his contact info on the web. Can you please share his number?
Thanks!

Steve said...

Hi Melissa,

That's a great-looking hood. Nice work. I'd like to try to build one myself - I have the tools and the time (currently out-of-work...). I suspect my dimensions will differ but could you or Jim somehow post / e-mail the measured drawings he used? I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Steve

 
Add to Technorati Favorites